Overall, it was a fun event with a variety of themes. It was also nice to see that they’re trying their hand at some original concepts. After having worked there for several years, I became desensitized to the scares, but this year I actually caught a few, so kudos to whoever was responsible for that .
So here’s my ranking of the mazes from most favorite to least favorite.
- Creepshow: back to back scares from the very beginning. Loved seeing some of those scenes recreated IRL.
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space: this maze is so cute! So colorful and the clowns look so great (and tall!). I was mostly geeking out at this one.
- Us: they nailed even the smallest details from the movie (look on the floor). The casting was so good! A lot of the scareactors looked just like their film counterparts.
- The Curse of Pandora’s Box: I loved the design of this one! I used to love reading about Greek mythology and I dug the modern twist they added to it. Awesome use of lighting for scares too.
- Holidayz in Hell: I love holidays, so seeing the horror version of each one was really cool! Fun scares in this one. Would like to see them add in some more holidays (earth day, president’s day, dia de los muertos, etc).
- House of 1000 Corpses: this was one of my favorites when they did it years ago, so it was nice to see it again. There were a couple of changes, but mostly the same idea. It was great seeing the captain too (RIP Sid).
- Ghostbusters: really liked some of the tech used in the maze. It was fun, everyone looked great, but all those plain black walls tho…
- Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman: can’t go wrong with classic monsters and it’s nice to see USH embrace what made them a staple in the horror genre, but it was just okay.
- Stranger Things: for such a popular property and with its most recent season being amazing, this was kind of a dud. The demodoggies looked cool, but I would’ve liked to see more stuff from season 3.
- The Walking Dead Attraction: the regular daytime attraction + a few more zombies…
Scarezones: I actually had to check on their website to see what the names of the zones were because I wasn’t sure what some of them were supposed to be.
So from most favorite to ???
- All Hallows’ Evil: classic Halloween stuff in here, which is awesome. Seemed to be one of the more themed ones.
- Christmas in Hell: another one that seemed to be really themed. Loved all the classic Christmas characters including a creepy looking Elsa(?).
- Spirits and Demons of the East: wasn’t sure what this was supposed to be until we were leaving because it wasn’t as themed. The costumes and the creature/spirit thing on stilts were cool looking.
- Toxxxic Tunnel: the only thing intriguing about this one is why did they decide to add 3 x’s to the name? It’s the same thing they’ve had in that area for the last few years.
- Chainsaws are back in the lower lot!
- Fallen Angelz: I don’t remember this one.
Anyway, I had a blast and shout out to anyone working the event! I plan on doing more major haunts this year and I’m considering doing more reviews like this one. Let me know in the comments if you’d like to see more reviews. Have you been to Halloween Horror Nights and what were your thoughts? And if you’re planning on checking out this or other haunts this year? 🤡